Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Life Is Strange Episode 2: Out of Time Finished



Game: Life Is Strange Episode 2: Out of Time
Release Date: 2015
Platform: PC
Date Started: July 23, 2015
Date Finished: July 24, 2015

When I finished the first episode, I was worried that the player choices might not have much impact on the story. I can happily say that's not the case. The decisions you made in both episodes will come together during the most important scene in episode 2. Even some actions that seemed insignificant will add up to a bigger picture.

The principal of Blackwell Academy is a black man called Wells. Seriously?

I'm really liking how they are developing the story and the characters. In the episode 1 review I wrote that Chloe isn't very likable but I realized why she's acting  this way. The poor girl has serious abandonment issues. First she lost her dad and then her best friend left her when she needed her the most. She found a new friend but once again she was abandoned. Now she's afraid of getting hurt again. Looking at it from that angle, I'm much forgiving to her character now. The thing that annoyed me about the dialogue is that multiple characters use the same phrases. Like Victoria uses "boo-hoo" when mocking Kate but later on Chloe says the same thing to Max. "Boo-hoo" is an odd thing for an 18 year old to say so at least keep it to one character. Episode 2 is very much centered around Kate so I wonder if the future episodes will be dedicated to some character.

Obligatory shower scene. David Cage would be proud

The puzzles are still the weakest part of the game. The game tries to be grounded despite having the time travel but it is not the supernatural that requires suspension of disbelief- it's the puzzles. Should I seriously believe that Chloe could shoot bottles by bouncing bullets of objects like she is Clint Eastwood? Even if she had like 500 tries she'd hardly be able to do that shot. And then shooting a tire makes a whole car collapse...yeah right. The bottle fetching didn't bother me that much, I didn't have problem finding bottles like some other people did but I think that part could be greatly improved by adding more than the exact number of  bottles. It would make the experience less tedious and slightly more realistic.  The "what do I have in my pockets?" puzzle was pretty good but predicting the future part was again unbelievable and silly with cockroach triggering a jukebox. Good concept tho. The one with the train was great since it had a multiple solutions but it is unfortunate the whole scene was spoiled in both the trailer and the preview at the end of the first episode.



Taylor...Swift?



The acting in the most emotional part wasn't the best and the dialogue was written with a purpose to explain and remind you what you did prior to that event so it feels very unnatural. Still, I was on the edge during the whole scene. Episode 2 is even better than the first one and if they can continue like this, it's gonna be fantastic. Now, onto the next episode!


Photo album and my choices [ SPOILER WARNING! ]


+ choices that matter
+ ending
+ soundtrack                     



- puzzles   
- dialogue                          





9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment